Wednesday 20 October 2010

Woo Hoo I'm Building A House!



Last December (2009) I was unbelievably lucky and was granted planning permission to build a small house on a piece of my parents land on Bryher, in the Isles of Scilly.
Housing opportunities over here are few and far between, especially for young people, whether its high rents, impossible purchase prices, or simply nothing available, there really isn't much in the way of affordable accommodation.

This was in the back of my mind when, last September, I decided that if I was really truly going to be able to stay on Bryher and continue to run (or co-run as I am sure my dad would rather I said) my families business, I was not only going to have to find somewhere of my own to live, but also do something to wave the nagging feeling that my job, and now career, was more then an extension of every summer I have worked for my parents since I was 13... I needed to do something really 'grown up'.
I therefore decided to 'kill two birds with one stone' and embark on the exciting, scarey, stressful, and hopefully hugely rewarding journey of building a house.


(plot of land where house is going)

How exactly I went from deciding this at the end of September and getting planning permission by the start of December I am not entirely sure. I would love to put it down to my organisational skills, but as a world class procrastinator I fear my organisation and timekeeping leave something to be desired. I have to presume then that it was down to my determination and perseverance ... (perhaps I should slide over the fact that it is now 10 months on and we are only just starting the work ... quite possibly a contradiction of my declaration of determination!)

Anyway..... I was unintentionally distracted by rowing, running off for a month to Costa Rica to get a really great tan, more rowing, a busy(-ish ..damn ressesion) summer season and a little more rowing ... BUT ... now, in October 2010, at long last, work has started, and who knows, next year I could be waving in the start of the 2011 season sitting on my new decking overlooking Kitchen Parr and Tresco and Bryher channel.


(this will be my view on low tide)

2 comments:

  1. thats fantastic! will you be adding more piccies as the building gets going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will indeed, a few more gone up today!

    ReplyDelete